Thursday, 8 December 2016

"The Power" by Naomi Alderman



Just finished "The Power" by Naomi Alderman published by Penguin Random House (2016).


Am left dazzled with a dreamy smile pondering on what I'd try to achieve or control if electricity ran through my spine.

In this fantasy-supernatural story, Alderman has imagined the transition between a world ruled by men to a world ruled by women.

What would change & what would remain the same? Are the motivations to rule fundamentally gender-based or do all leaders share the same characteristic: madness? 😯

"The Power" is deliciously entertaining, and its double position as a fictional historical novel makes for an extra treat.

I enjoyed Alderman's descriptive narrative style, but my favourite novels are those that gently peel off the surface to reveal a depth both unknown yet familiar, and play with the language. 


And that's exactly what I know I'll find in the novel I've been so looking forward to reading next ❤ "Transit" by Rachel Cusk published by Jonathan Cape ❤

No comments: